Workshop on the Theory of Waves in Random Media
24 - 25 June 2020 in Sheffield, UK.
Waves propagating in random media are key to many areas of physics and engineering. These random media include gases, emulsions, powders, porous and polycrystalline materials, to name just a few. The theoretical tools to understand these waves can be applied to all linear waves, such as acoustics, light, and elastic. Yet, the community, and the tools used are quite disconnected. This workshop aims to bridge the gaps between mathematicians, physicists, and engineers, to better understand our connections, and to share recent advances.
- Luke Bennetts, Associate Professor in Applied Mathematics, The University of Adelaide.
- Adrian Doicu, Senior Scientist at the Remote Sensing Technology Institute (IMF), German Aerospace Center (DLR).
- Gerhard Kristensson, Professor in Electromagnetic Theory, Lund University.
- Paul A. Martin, Professor of Applied Mathematics, Colorado School of Mines.
- Romain Pierrat, CNRS Scientist, ESPCI Paris, Institut Langevin.
- Stefan Rotter, Professor at the Institute of Theoretical Physics, Vienna University of Technology (TU Wien).
- Juan-José Saenz, Ikerbasque Research Professor, Donostia International Physics Center.
- Sergey Skipetrov, CNRS Senior Scientist, Laboratoire de Physique et Modélisation des Milieux.
- Knut Solna, Professor of Mathematics, University of California at Irvine.
- John R. Willis, Professor of Mathematics, University of Cambridge.
To register submit your details here, where you can propose a talk and a poster. Note, space for talks is limited.
The deadline to apply for a talk and/or a poster is 29 Feb 2020, whereas the deadline to just attend is 1 Jun 2020.
The workshop will run 24-25 of June 2020, starting 9am on the 24th and ending around 4pm on the 25th. More details will be available closer to the date.
See here for details on travelling to Sheffield.
The workshop will be held in lecture theatre 4, Hicks Building, Sheffield S3 7RH.
There are a number of hotels close to the venue, see the list below. We recommend everyone arrives on the 23rd of June, as we aim to start 9am on the 24th of June.
- The Premier Inn, rate per night ~ £35.
- The Best Western Hotel, rate per night ~ £60.
- Mercure Sheffield St Paul’s Hotel & Spa, rate per night ~ £85.
Dinner and Social
On the evening on the 24th of June we will be upstairs in the University Arms for food, discussion, and drinks (we might ask for a financial contribution).